Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving thanks.


Since Veteran's Day I've used my Facebook status everyday to say something I'm thankful for in my life. The status updates are below:
  • I'm thankful for our veterans. I don't support war but I do support the people who give their lives to defend our country.
  • I am thankful for an awesome family. I have a beautiful husband, 3 parents, 2 sisters, 2 brothers, 4 grandparents, 5 nephews, 3 nieces, countless (but not remotely insignificant) aunts, uncles and cousins and I'm proud to be related to every single one.
  • I am on day 3 of "what she's thankful for" status updates. Today I'm thankful for the ability to use my hands to make things.
  • I am thankful for the roof over my head, even if there are idiots on the other side of the wall. See what I did there? I am thankful but complainy at the same time.
  • I am thankful for music and musicians, whatever genre.
  • I am thankful for silliness at any and every age.
  • I am is thankful to have a degree in art history even if it has gotten her nowhere professionally. It's moved me along emotionally, intellectually and spiritually.
  • I am thankful for the inspiring creativity of others.
  • I am thankful for the life and laugh of Errin Vuley. She will be missed by so many.
  • I am thankful for the technologies that keep so many of us long lost friends closer than we've been in years.
  • I am thankful for quiet Saturday mornings with her hubs, kitties and beautiful weather coming through the open window.
  • I am thankful for humor. You'll see why when we send out our Christmas cards this year.
  • I have only hinted at being thankful for friends in the FB status thankfulness exercise, so today it's official. I'm thankful for all my friends, all over the world.
  • I'm thankful for all the people we lost this year. Not thankful that we lost them, but thankful that we had the chance to know them and love them and learn from them.
  • I'm thankful my husband doesn't play World of Warcraft.
Some days I've stared off into space trying to think of something I'm thankful for. Other days I haven't needed to think for more than the time it takes to click "Update Status". Some days were serious, like the day I recognized my friend who lost her life in a car accident. Some days have been silly like being grateful my husband doesn't play WoW. But each one was true. And I guess it doesn't even have to be done around Thanksgiving. I'll probably work in a few "thankful" status updates now and again, just as a reminder of the love I have in my life, the humor in the every day and the beauty in the seemingly mundane.

1 comment:

  1. This was a great exercise for me too, Laura-- thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete